eToolLCD does not rely on a single source of life cycle inventory data. eToolLCD LCI processes are from the following sources:
- Australasian LCI data which is provided by Life Cycle Strategies and is predominantly the AusLCI data with an EcoInvent shadow database.
- Other regional LCI data provided by Life Cycle Strategies for: North America, Europe, UK, New Zealand and Global.
- IMPACT EN15804 Data which is administered by BRE in the UK. Available for subscribers upon request and payment of the relevant project fee.
- Cost factors are from Industry quotes (usually three) cross referenced against construction cost handbooks
Our LCI data sources comply with the following standards:
- ISO 14000
- ISO 21930
- ISCC Certifications
- GHG Protocol – Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard
- ILCD Handbook
In addition to the default data for material, EPDs data can be entered into eTool for further accuracy of your LCAs. Materials manufacturers interested in uploading their own data should contact eTool.
If you are not sure which LCI Source to use, please select the closest one to your region and run a sensitivity analysis on the top materials impacts. Compare different datasets using the LCI Comparison report and cross check against available EPDs in your region.
In relation to cost estimations, eTool has sought industry estimates for materials and energy consumption. This approach leads to significant under-estimation in the cost of highly processed goods (for example, the steel used for concrete reinforcing will cost a lot less than the steel used in a door handle, despite being of a very similar specification, the door handle has been value added significantly compared to the reinforcement. eToolLCD on the other hand will price these two uses of the same steel product equally).
Please get in touch if you need any other information regarding eToolLCD data sources.