Below is a concept design workflow using the eToolLCD software. More information on this can be found in this post.
The current set up for the Mat 01 Results submission tool requires an individual eToolLCD design to be created for each design option, so the results can be exported and inserted into the submission tool. We have plans to automate this part of the process so that it’s simpler and more streamlined.
During Concept Design, identify opportunities for reducing environmental impacts as follows:
- Carry out building LCA options appraisal of 2 to 4 significantly different superstructure design options
- Carry out building LCA options appraisal of a combined total of at least six significantly different substructure or hard landscaping design options (at least two shall be substructure and at least two shall be hard landscaping).
- Carry out building LCA options appraisal of at least 3 significantly different core building services design options.
- For each design option, fulfil the same functional requirements specified by the client and all statutory requirements (to ensure functional equivalency).
- Integrate the LCA options appraisal activity within the wider design decision-making process. Record this in an options appraisal summary document.
- Record the differences between the design options; the design option selected by the client to be progressed beyond Concept Design; the reasons for selecting it and the reasons for not selecting the other design options.
During Technical Design identify opportunities for reducing environmental impacts as follows:
- Carry out building LCA options appraisal of 2 to 3 significantly different superstructure design options
- Where an options appraisal summary document was produced during Concept Design, update it to include the Technical Design options.
Options Appraisal Summary Documentation
Users have two options to produce the options appraisal summary document:
- By using the eTooLCD ‘LCA Design Feedback Report’, but this requires an additional design to be modelled as per flow chart above where all improvement options are combined in the one design. Please refer to this post on how to record your recommendations.
- Create the document manually outside of the eToolLCD software.
Information to be included in the Options appraisal summary document:
- Preferred option – Detailed Description, reason for selecting it and total GWP.
- Other options – Detailed Description highlighting key aspects for impact reduction or increase, reasons for not selecting these other options, total GWP and % savings or increase against preferred option.
- Evidence that the LCA options appraisal summary document has been received by the design team and client (meeting minutes, letter of acknowledgement).
- Evidence of how the LCA design options have informed the design decision-making process (e.g. meeting minutes, documented design development showing how the LCA options have affected the design).
Below is a sample options appraisal summary table for your reference:
|Design||Reasons for selecting (or not)||Total GWP||% Savings Against Reference Design|
|Option 1 – SuperS (Preferred Option)|
|Option 2 – SuperS|
|Option 3 – SuperS|
|Option 4 – SuperS|
|Option 1 – SubS or HL (Preferred Option)|
|Option 2 – SubS or HL (Preferred Option)|
|Option 3 – SubS or HL|
|Option 4 – SubS or HL|
|Option 5 – SubS or HL|
|Option 6 – SubS or HL
* Services options appraisal not yet available in eToolLCD
Man 02 Life cycle cost and service life planning – additional to be prepared for Component level LCC option appraisal –
- Integrate the aligned LCA and LCC options appraisal activity within the wider design decision-making process. Record this in an options appraisal summary document including the relevant cost information from the ‘elemental LCC plan’ and ‘Component level LCC option appraisal’.