With our new ‘Scenarios’ feature, generating the Mat01 spreadsheets for BREEAM 2018 is now much easier to do in eToolLCD. In case you haven’t already, we demonstrate how the new ‘Scenarios’ feature works in our Intermediate Training course. So please ensure that you’ve completed both your Beginner and Intermediate training courses.
The process flow for using the new Scenarios feature to create your eToolLCD design is as per the flow chart below.
Jump to the following sections in this post:
- Generate ‘BREEAM 2018 Full Submission Pack’
- BREEAM Results Submission Folder: Re-categorisation of Materials
- Third Party Verification
- Generate ‘LCA Design Feedback Report’ as Options Appraisal Summary
- LCA and LCC alignment
- Related posts
Generate ‘BREEAM 2018 Full Submission Pack’
- Create your Proposed Design (final chosen design option) according to Mat 01 Building LCA.
- Submit the design for certification / peer review with eTool.
- After the design is certified, use the Scenarios feature to model your option designs as per the flow chart above. Note that you no longer need to clone your designs as the new feature does this for you automatically.
- For each option Scenario, you can assign that Scenario to a BREEAM option straight away if you like. Or you can skip this step and select it later when you generate the Submission pack.
- When you’ve finished modeling all your Option designs, your ‘Scenario’ tree should look something like this. Each branch was linked (cloned) to the Proposed Design as the ‘start point’.
- When you’re finished with modeling your option designs, submit your last option design for certification so that we can check that you’ve modeled all your options correctly.
- Next, navigate to the ‘Reports’ tab to generate the ‘BREEAM 2018 Full Submission Pack’.
- When you select the report, if you haven’t already assigned the BREEAM options in step 4, you’ll see the following empty fields. Please select the relevant option designs in the associated fields.
- It should look something like this. In order to download the pack, you’ll need to ensure that there are no empty fields. Therefore if you haven’t reached the Design Development stage yet, just select any design as a place-holder so that you can generate & download the full report pack.
- The full submission pack will be a zipped folder that contains the following documents. *If your folder contains the V1.9 version of the ‘Mat0102_ResultsSubmissionTool’ spreadsheet, you’ll need to delete that spreadsheet and replace it with the v2.2 version. Please download it here: Mat0102_ResultsSubmissionTool_V2.2
- Next, ou need to check that the categorisation of materials for the other spreadsheets are correct. Please refer to the following section of this post for guidance on how to do this.
- Once you have checked the categorisation of each spreadsheet, open the ‘Results’ spreadsheet. The spreadsheet will pull in the data from all the other spreadsheets in the same folder to populate the results table. Pay attention to the items & notes highlighted in red and bright yellow.
- If you’re using the correct Mat01 Results spreadsheet (V2.2), you’ll be able to find ‘eToolLCD (Default, UK)’ as an option in the ‘Tool to use for options appraisal during Concept Design’ field.
Superstructure options appraisal during Concept Design: Note that you will need only three new Superstructure options as the Superstructure Baseline design is the same as the Superstructure Option 1 design.
Substructure & Hard Landscaping options appraisal during Concept Design: Note that you will need four new options (at least 2 Substructure and 2 Hard Landscaping) to meet the total combined of six options, as the baseline design is also Substructure and Hard Landscaping Option 1 and Option 2.
BREEAM RESULTS SUBMISSION FOLDER: RE-CATEGORISATION OF MATERIALS
After you’ve generated the ‘BREEAM 2018 Full Submission Pack’ as per the above, please check and ensure that each spreadsheet output has categorised all materials to match BREEAM reporting requirements as per the list below.
Table 9.1 – Superstructure (criteria 1 to 5)
- 2.1 Frame
- 2.2 Upper floors
- 2.3 Roof
- 2.4 Stairs and ramps
- 2.5 External walls
- 2.6 Windows and external doors
- 2.7 Internal walls and partitions
Table 9.2 – Substructure and Hard Landscaping (applicable to criteria 6 and 7)
- 1.1 Substructure
- 8.2 Roads, paths and pavings
Table 9.3 – Services (applicable to criteria 8 and 9)
- 5.5.1 Heat source
- 5.6 Space Heating and Air Conditioning
- 5.7 Ventilation
- 5.9 Fuel Installations / Systems
Note that generally our templates are categorised to the third level of categorisation (i.e. 8.2.1 Roads, paths and pavings) which won’t be pulled into the ‘Mat0102_ResultsSubmissionTool_V2.2.xlsx’ spreadsheet if left as is. Therefore it is critical to check the spreadsheets and edit these entries within the spreadsheet (i.e. Excel) to the correct level of categorisation as per the list above in order to ensure that all materials are pulled into the results spreadsheet correctly.
Third Party Verification
eTool will check the LCA work and produce the Certifier Review Statement at Concept Design and Technical Design which describes how well the LCA represents the design in consideration and that the LCA options meet the quality requirements. The Certifier Reviewer Statement also contains the LCA competency statement for the reviewer to demonstrate suitable qualification and independence from the design team.
Generate ‘LCA Design Feedback Report’ as Options Appraisal Summary
Users have two options to produce the options appraisal summary document:
1) Create the document manually outside of the eToolLCD software
Information to be included in the Options appraisal summary document:
- Preferred option – Detailed Description, reason for selecting it and total GWP.
- Other options – Detailed Description highlighting key aspects for impact reduction or increase, reasons for not selecting these other options, total GWP and % savings or increase against preferred option.
- Evidence that the LCA options appraisal summary document has been received by the design team and client (meeting minutes, letter of acknowledgement).
- Evidence of how the LCA design options have informed the design decision-making process (e.g. meeting minutes, documented design development showing how the LCA options have affected the design).
Below is a sample options appraisal summary table for your reference:
|Design||Reasons for selecting (or not)||Total GWP||% Savings Against Reference Design|
|Option 1 – SuperS (Preferred Option)|
|Option 2 – SuperS|
|Option 3 – SuperS|
|Option 4 – SuperS|
|Option 1 – SubS or HL (Preferred Option)|
|Option 2 – SubS or HL|
|Option 3 – SubS or HL|
|Option 4 – SubS or HL (Preferred Option)|
|Option 5 – SubS or HL|
|Option 6 – SubS or HL|
|Option 1 – BD Services (Preferred Option)|
|Option 2 – BD Services|
|Option 3 – BD Services|
2) By using the eTooLCD ‘LCA Design Feedback Report’
Should you wish to generate the Options Appraisal Summary report in eToolLCD, you’ll need to combine all the options into one Scenario ‘branch’ to generate the ‘LCA Design Feedback Report’ which can be used as your Options Appraisal Summary report. Note that this report has not been customised to meet BRE specifications, therefore you may still need to customise the report to make it more relevant for your submission.
- Assuming that the last Scenario branch (‘New secant piled retaining wall with RC basement on raft slab’) as your new ‘Starting Point’, duplicate all the other scenarios in the same tree.
- Start remodeling your scenarios but connect them into one long branch/chain below the last Scenario. Note that you’ll need to ignore the saving percentages in this branch as they will not make sense since this is not how we’ve designed the feature to be used. We’re modeling it this way only to generate the summary report. It should look something like this.
- Once you’ve modeled the final scenario/option, assign that scenario purpose as the ‘Business as Usual’ design so that you can generate the report.
- Navigate to the option design that you’ve specified as the ‘Business as Usual’ design and generate the ‘LCA Design Feedback’ report from there. You’ll need to specify a benchmark design and the Proposed Design as the Comparison design.
- Click ‘Generate’ to produce the report. The purpose of using this report is because it lists all the option details and logistical limitations etc if you’ve filled this section of the Scenario details out. However for BREEAM 2018, the report is probably most useful from page 9 (‘Low Impact Strategies’) onwards. You can download an example report here: LCA Design Feedback Report
LCA and LCC alignment
Complete an Elemental LCC during the Concept Stage and the Component Level LCC at the Technical Stage according to Man 02 LCC and service life planning. We have yet to create a support article specifically for the Man 02 LCC credit, however meanwhile you can download our LCC templates from this post.
Create an options appraisal summary document showing the integration of LCA and LCC including the relevant cost information from the ‘elemental LCC plan’ and ‘Component level LCC option appraisal’.
This support article will be updated with Technical Design info soon.