The New London Plan and its Whole Life Carbon Guidance are soon to come into effect.
At eTool, we have reviewed their reporting template and have prepared an excel tool to help our users populate the results for Assessment 1 and Assessment 2 at the Outline Planning and Detailed Planning stages.
Below are the steps to fill out the New London Plan’s GLA template using the “All Impacts” report from eToolLCD.
- Ensure “Global Warming Potential Biogenic, GWP B” indicator is enabled at the Project Level in eToolLCD (only available from LCI source v17 onwards. Please submit a support request for access to the latest version.)
- Generate the “All Impacts Details” report for the design to be reported in the GLA template.
- In the ‘Data Tab’ of All Impacts Details Report, make sure that no general categories are assigned to any item. For example Facilitating Works impacts are being reported using the second level of the RICS NRM system (i.e. 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc). An element that has been simply assigned the code “0” will not be pulled out of the spreadsheet correctly. You can check this by filtering the “CategoryCode” column (column U) and then correct the entries with generic codes in the spreadsheet OR correct them in the eToolLCD Design using the Bulk Swap Tool and re-download the report.
- Download the “eToolLCD to GLA WLC report” excel file from the link below.
- From the ‘Data Tab’ of the All Impacts report select the “CategoryCode”, “Module”, “Global Warming Potential, GWP” and “Global Warming Potential, GWP B” columns and copy the data.
- Paste the values only (don’t include formatting to save processing time) into the relevant columns in the ‘Data’ sheet of the GLA WLC report spreadsheet.
- Copy the values from the “Table” sheet to the relevant table within the GLA report template.
- Repeat for the grid decarbonization scenario. Please note that the grid can be changed to a future decarbonised grid either through the bulk swap function or by changing it in each energy item one by one.
How to Pull Out Material Quantity Information by Weight (Mass)
To pull out the kg material data from eToolLCD, first ensure that you have turned on the ‘Mass of Materials, total’ indicator in the Project level.
Next, use the ‘Analysis’ tab as per the steps in the image below.
Note that if you’re using the v17 Default LCI source, when using the ‘Analysis’ tab, there is a bug for steel mass quantities. The quantity for steel needs to be divided by 5 and multiplied by 100 (XX / 5 * 100) for the correct tonne of steel quantity. This issue does not occur for the v18 Default dataset.
There is an option to generate the Materials Inventory Summary Report, however the quantities in this report are currently inaccurate therefore we do not recommend doing this right now. If you would like to get this reporting bug fixed, please vote on this feature request: https://support.etoollcd.com/index.php/idea/improve-accuracy-of-the-materials-inventory-summary-report/
Download the GLA spreadsheet in the link below:
eToolLCD to GLA WLC Report Spreadsheet
SAP 10 Grid
Please note that the UK 2020 SAP 10 Grid is available in the eTool Default dataset.
You will see a warning that the grid does not align with EN 15978 standards due to the environmental discount factors applied to adjust potential future impacts. The relevant quality check will be left in question to highlight this deviation from EN 15978.
Relevant Articles: Sequestered Carbon
I have got a project that is targeting the New London Plan – Whole Lifecycle Carbon Assessment. However, I don’t have access to the LCI source – v17 in my account. Please can you help with this?
Hi Yoyo, looks like you have already been given access to those sources. For future support requests, please refer to this support post.